Monday, September 17, 2012
Joey's Week 2 Initial Post
As stated in the reading about anecdotal assessments, I believe my observational skills will be very important when planning and implementing literacy instruction. Recording what I see throughout a day in my classroom will give me an idea of what the students need more work with and what they are excelling at. Detailed observational notes will allow me to look back on students reactions, so as to cater my lesson to their needs. Quality lesson ideas and effective implementation of teaching strategies is obviously important for the students' literacy development. However, if the teacher is unaware of how the students experience these lessons and what they may have taken away from them; even a well thought out lesson plan becomes ineffective. Therefore, observing and taking anecdotal records become very important, so as to continue to evolve and grow as an instructor and be willing to tweak lessons as needed based of your observations.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I definitely agree with what you said above about needing detailed notes to help plan our lessons. I think the only challenging part would be taking detailed notes while still being an active member in the classroom. I think that when I am taking notes about what's happening during the class period, I'm not as actively participating; I'm merely sitting on the sidelines with my notebook. If I waited until the end of the day to take notes on the class periods, I won’t remember everything that I have witnessed, I would just remember the general concept of the class.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Kim, that being able to take detailed notes and still being an active member is challenging. Anecdotal records are great because they help you pin point what supports students need, and for us, as teachers. As teachers anecdotal records allows us to reflect and see where we taught most effectively or least effectively. I have been trying to take more concise notes during math for our math project and I find myself sitting at the teacher desk listening but actively walking around and interacting with the kids. Finding some sort of balance is definitely needed but to do that can be very tricky.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Kim, that being able to take detailed notes and still being an active member is challenging. Anecdotal records are great because they help you pin point what supports students need, and for us, as teachers. As teachers anecdotal records allows us to reflect and see where we taught most effectively or least effectively. I have been trying to take more concise notes during math for our math project and I find myself sitting at the teacher desk listening but actively walking around and interacting with the kids. Finding some sort of balance is definitely needed but to do that can be very tricky.
ReplyDeleteI definitely agree with what Joey said about anecdotal assessments being helpful in addressing each students individual learning needs. Since starting at Kinawa, I have taken each fairly detailed notes about what my students do during each class. Granted, this probably won't last throughout the year as my responsibilities in the classroom increase, but while I do have this opportunity to observe the teachers I am working with, as well as my students, it allows me to learn from both parties. These records will definitely help me when it comes time to planning my own unit because I will have a better feel of what my students are used to, what new things I can bring to the table, and how my teachers use their time during daily lessons. The ability to reflect on what worked and what didn't is a great tool that allows us, as teachers AND learners, to organize and balance our thoughts.
ReplyDelete