Monday, October 29, 2012

Abby's Lesson 1 Reflection

Lesson 1 Reflection
Daily Journal Reflection
Today I taught my Language Arts lesson 1.  Sheryl thought it went well and I agreed until the end when the students started to get antsy.  I think if I could redo the lesson I would have the students work together in their book club groups to fill out the Novel Preview.  I was really surprised with the length of the discussion on what a book club should look and sound like, and how the students should act in the book club.  My students had a lot of wonderful ideas and it was hard not calling on the same kids over and over again.  They really enjoyed watching the annenburg video we had watched in 802 about book clubs.  I even told them I would love to take all them to class with me so they could share their insights on book clubs.  Teaching a unit is very different from teaching just one lesson.  I don’t feel as prepared because I am trying to make 10 lessons instead of 1 really good lesson.  The students were very excited about their groups and there were many positive reactions when I revealed the groups.  I  would have liked to have gotten the students in their book clubs today but because there was only 10-15 minutes left in the hour when we got to the novel preview,  I felt it would be better to have the students complete the preview individually and then discuss it as a whole class. 

·         What did students learn and which students struggled with the lesson? 
In this lesson students learned what book clubs look like, what they sound like and how to act when involved in a book club.  For many of my students this lesson was a review of how they should act during book clubs.  I know B.T. struggled with this lesson because of his ADHD.  However Sheryl, my MT  stood close to him and redirected him when he needed it.   This has been a common issue since day 1 and no matter what subject or activity we are doing.  Many of my students excelled in this lesson because the lesson was a discussion based lesson and they all love to talk.  The novel preview was a bit more difficult for them and I think if I could alter the lesson, I would have the students fill out the novel preview as a book club group instead of an individual assignment. 
·         What are alternate reads (interpretations) of your students’ performance or products?
Having gone through the novel preview as a whole group, it was clear that many of the students struggled with using both written word and illustrations on the front and back cover to preview a novel and come up with a prediction of what the story is going to be about.  I think an alternative interpretation of my students’ discussion of book club rules is that my students are going to have no problem talking but I think they will need help staying on topic. 

·         What did you learn about your students’ literacy practices that extend beyond your objectives?
I learned that they love to discuss and are capable of watching a college-level clip and discuss it appropriately.  I also learned that almost all of them have experience with book clubs.  I reconfirmed that they love to talk and they actively listen to their peers.  For example, one student responded directly to another peer’s response.  It was cool to see that my students are comfortable have conversations with one another without me explicitly telling them how to do this.
·         When and how will you re-teach the material to students who need additional support?
Tomorrow I am reviewing with the students the rules for our book clubs, that they had come up with.  I had taken their ideas and summarized  them and made them coherent for the students.  I want these rules to be posted in the classroom and will try to always remind students of these rules as they work in their book clubs.  Also I think it is really important to give the students a preview of what they will be doing and why therefore tomorrow I will be giving them an agenda for the hour and giving them a purpose for their writing (tomorrow’s purpose is personal reflection and questioning).
·         If you were to teach this same lesson again, what would you do differently and how do you think the changes would improve students’ learning?
I would change the style in which I had the students complete the novel preview.  Instead of an individual assignment, I would have the students work with their book clubs.  I would still keep the whole-group discussion because I think it is important for students to hear their peers’ ideas.
·         How did you limit the extent to which ethnic, linguistic, and/or gender biases occurred during your   lesson?
I tried to evenly pick both male and females to answer the questions along with having students  of all ability levels.  One thing I noticed was my “ELL” student did not speak.  It is very hard to get her to engage in discussions.  I think I am going to have to make sure her group gives her an opportunity to speak or write her thoughts on paper before she speaks.
·         What did you learn so far about implementing your ‘core practice’ and what do you need to do to continue your professional learning?
I know my students may have a hard time responding to some of the writing prompts because the purpose of the writing prompts may not always be perfectly clear.  I think my students will have an easier time responding through discussions so I think I need to emphasize the importance of discussion.  Maybe I will take a day and record each group’s discussion on the writing prompt instead of having them write everyday (I will do this if I can get my MT to agree to it).

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like your unit is off to a great start. I know you wish you had made a different decision about filling out the preview, but you had to think on your feet and make a quick decision, which is always a part of teaching. The important thing is that you took the time to reflect on the decision. You have a good idea to help your ELL student. Once the conversation gets started in the book clubs, she may feel lost or intimidated. Maybe she can initiate the discussion each day by asking a question or providing an insight into the reading. This will give her a small, focused task to prepare for and hopefully she will become more confident as the unit goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the idea for my ELL students. I am having the students rotate being the leader (so this will give her a chance to pratice initiating discussion).

    ReplyDelete