**All things are subject to change based upon planning with my
co-intern and our Language Arts teacher**
1.
Describe
your target area for guided lead teaching. I will be teaching a fantasy
unit on Tuck Everlasting by
Natalie Babbitt.
2.
Approximately
how much time per day is allotted for your instruction in this area? We are
only allotted 50 minutes per day for Language Arts.
3.
Which
Common Core State Standard(s) will you work toward?
1. CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.5.10
Write routinely over extended time frames (time for research, reflection, and revision) and shorter time frames (a
single sitting or a day or two) for a
range of discipline-specific tasks, purposes, and audiences.
2. CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.5.1b
Follow agreed-upon rules for discussions and carry out assigned roles.
3. CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.5.9 Compare and contrast stories in the
same genre (e.g., mysteries
and adventure stories) on their approaches to similar themes and topics
4.
How
will teaching in this target area provide opportunities for students to learn
important content and/or skills that relate to their lives? In what ways does this learning include
learning literacy, learning about literacy, and/or learning through literacy? Students
will be placed into book club groups and within the groups they will have to
delegate which roles will fit each individual member of the group. Throughout
the unit, students will be required to write journals in response to various
aspects of the book. At the end of the reading, students will watch the movie
Tuck Everlasting and write a few paragraph compare/contrast paper. To go along
with the fantasy theme, students will be reading a different fantasy book for
their next book report.
5.
What
types of classroom talk take place within this target area? To what extent is
the talk teacher-led, student-led, or focused on higher-level thinking? What
norms for interaction would you like to build within your classroom as you
teach in this target area (e.g., see ideas in Chapter 6 of Strategies that
Work, the Berne & Clark 2008 article, or draw from some of the readings
done in TE 402 on classroom talk)? I really want to promote
cooperation/working together and responsibility within the book club groups.
Students will be gradually given more and more responsibility of their book
clubs throughout the unit. They will need to be able to work independently and
be able to support each other’s opinions and still maintain a civil debate
about their ideas.
6.
Which
‘core practice’ do you want to work on developing/improving as you teach in
this target area (refer to document “Resources for Developing Core Practices”)?
How will focusing on this core practice
contribute to your own professional learning? The Core Practice I plan
to implement in the unit is Practices to Facilitate Comprehension Instruction –
Responding to Reading. By focusing in on book clubs, students will be able to
work together to maximize their comprehension skills by seeing other points of
view and hearing their peer’s opinions. Teaching comprehension is one of the
most important things literacy teachers teach because it has an impact on all
of the other subject areas.
7.
What
resources within the community, neighborhood, school district, school or
classroom do you have to work with in this target area? We have
enough copies of the book for each student to have their own, we have an audio
recording of the story being read – this can be used during the class periods
that students are in the resource room, they can put the recording into a
computer’s cd reader and listen quietly and follow along, and we have a movie
version of the story that we will show at the end of the unit and have the
students compare and contrast the two. Also, I have developed a relationship with
one of our resource room teachers; she works with a few of my students that
need some extra support across the curriculum. She will be a valuable resource
in helping me adapt my lessons to support these students. I also have Abby who is teaching the same content to her homeroom students; we will be able to bounce ideas off of each other and discuss what is working and what isn't working within our units.
8.
What
additional resources do you need to obtain? It would be helpful to know
roughly the students reading levels so I can develop reading groups that
support each of my students’ diverse needs.
9.
How
will you pre-assess your students in your target area? To
assess my students on fantasy, we can develop a class list of things that we
think are aspects of the fantasy genre.
10.
What
else will you need to find out about all students in your class to help you
develop lesson plans for your Guided Lead Teaching? There
are a few students that I know already are reading below grade level, who have
class periods in the resource room, who would greatly benefit by having the story
read aloud via the CD while following along with the text.
11.
What
else do you need/want to learn about the ‘core practice’ to support your
planning and teaching? I am really excited to be teaching a book club unit; in TE 402
with Chad we did book club units at the end of the semester and it was great to
work through it as if you were a student. The book club concept seems to go
along nicely with the core practice that we chose as a team.
12.
What
concerns, if any, do you have about planning and teaching your unit? I am concerned about making sure all of my
students receive the amount of support that each of them needs to support their
learning.
I really like how you made sure to stay you want to promote teamwork, cooperation, and responsiblity. It was nice to see your core standards match up with your core practices. Sounds like you have some wonderful ideas for this unit. I am glad you have enough books for both classes-60 students..that's great resources!
ReplyDeleteWeek 5 Blog Post, responding to Inquiry 2,
ReplyDeleteKim, I think some of the examples would be great lessons for us to consider. For example, I really loved the idea of the connections in common on page 103. I think it would be cool for the kids to write connections as they are reading and then decide if these connections are related to themselves and the comprehension of the text. I think it would help the students see connections that help with understanding the Tuck verses those that are distractions. Also I love the use of sticky notes as the kids read. I think we could have them use it to pick out important parts of the book, they would like to compare/contrast with the movie, along with places that show a part of the fantasy genre. Could we use a KWL for the parts of the fantasy genre?
I wonder if the approach that Kari Oosterveen used in her second year, is the approach Sheryl is using? I definitely think our students are writing a lot (in all subject areas, well minus math). It will be interesting to see their results this year from the MEAP. Wanda WASL is an interesting concept…usable??? We should create a rubric for their post-writing assessment. Let’s still keep the pre-writing assessment and possibly do the same prompt of a second post-writing assessment.
I think with our different book club groups, we could use components of ACCESS to reach each groups needs. Kind of like Ms. Mashburn did with the different groups. How can we get our students to be intrinsically motivated to continue writing/reading. I think we should try to implement some ACCESS but it might be difficult because of Sheryl’s teaching style.
KIm, it looks like you are on the right track! It's great that you have an audio version to ensure all students have access to the content. The students in their book clubs will also be a good resource for the below-level students. Will you be implementing any of your own strategies (from class or Strategies that Work) for comprehension, or will you be following your MT's guide?
ReplyDelete