In my lesson students learned some of the basics for what traits a “strong”
piece of writing should contain.
Many of
the students had already had lessons involving the six traits, but I feel that
this was a good refresher lesson to get them to start thinking about the traits
again.
R struggled with the lesson, as
he is an ELL student and has very limited reading skills.
Madi and I observed all of each other’s
lessons and she was able to do a lot of one and one work with him to help him
complete the lesson.
Other than R, all
of the students completed the lesson and had very sound reasoning, based on
their written responses, for why they ranked each paragraph where they did.
My students seem to be very engaged in whole group discussion.
However, a small group of students tend to sit
quietly and typically do not contribute to the conversation.
When I looked at their written responses,
they were very similar to what we discussed as a whole group.
This leads me to believe that maybe they were
simply writing what we discussed and may not have fully understood or completed
the lesson on their own.
I learned that my students are very capable of switching between small group
and whole group discussion.
Aside from a
small group of about 5 students I heard from everyone in the class.
As I observed them, several students took the
lead in small group discussions and when I would ask each member their opinion they
were all able to explain their rationale to me, which tells me that they were
actually thinking about and discussing the material rather than just listening
to one member of the group give answers.
The only student that needs additional help is R.
He is currently in an ELL class, as well as a
task class that is meant to complete unfinished assignments.
I talked to each of his teachers in these
classes and they said that I was welcome to come in any time to re teach him
material covered in class.
I was lucky enough
to have an open block while he is in task every day, so I have been able to
work one on one with him after each lesson.
If I were to teach this assignment again I would change up the groups for
small group discussion.
I liked that
certain students were taking over leadership rules in their groups, but for a
couple of the groups I felt that there were too many outspoken students mixed
with too few of my quieter shy students.
They seemed to overpower them and a couple students seemed to get lost
in the discussion between fellow group members.
I think that I would try to spread the more outspoken students out, so
that only a couple were in each group, so as to give other students a chance to
join the discussion.
I called on almost every student in my classroom, so I thought I did a good
job of giving everyone who wanted to speak a chance.
R, my ELL student is very uncomfortable
speaking in whole group discussion, so I did not call on him, for fear of embarrassing
him.
So far I feel that this lesson didn’t give me a great deal of practice
implementing my core practice.
I was
able to explain to the students and discuss with them the traits that they want
to include in their writing in order to be successful.
I will continue to teach them good writing
habits and give them as much practice with writing as time allows in LA, as
well as their other core subjects.
No comments:
Post a Comment