This lesson was my first day
of teaching language arts, and its purpose was to get my students thinking
about all of the six traits of writing, not specifically the two that I am
covering in my unit. This ‘Warm-Up’ activity required students to read three
writing samples and ‘rank’ them from strongest to weakest, and provide
reasoning why. My students were asked to read each sample on their own and rank
based on individual response. For my ELL students who struggle with
comprehension and fluency, I pulled them aside and read the samples to them out
loud, explaining any aspects of the samples that were unclear. Instead of them
writing their reasons why, I allowed them to talk to me about how they assigned
each of the rankings. Once I finished reading, they thoughtfully ranked each
sample just like the rest of the class.
This lesson practiced
individual work time, group discussion, and whole class discussion, so there
was a lot going on in terms of talking within this activity. They ended up
having to rank each sample three times; once individually, once after a table
group discussion, and lastly after a whole class discussion. Each rank was
displayed using a different color so that it was clear to me how discussions
impacted their opinion. This resulted in some students not ranking on their
own, and then putting the same ranks as their groups made. I had hoped to see
each students’ individual initial thinking, so this resulted in different
responses from different students.
My students were asked to
provide three rankings, and reasons why for each of their decisions, each in a
separate color based on when the ranking occurred within the lesson. The
intention of this lesson was not organization, however, my students really
liked this approach. They were able to organize their thoughts and opinions in
a way that was made clearly visible by the different colors, and since this
lesson, my students have practiced similar organization techniques in other
activities and even other classes.
Similar to my other reflection,
the ELL students in my class are able to complete assignments and receive
further instruction during their ELL classes every day. Although they completed
this particular assignment in class, I had to differentiate their instruction
and read the samples to them instead of them reading them on their own. Also,
their reasoning was given to me verbally because they felt better able to
communicate that way, rather than writing.
If I were to re-teach this
lesson I would definitely do a better job of monitoring the class during their
initial individual ranking. Some students just waited to see what their peers
did and copied them and that caused it to me nearly impossible to review and
consider their individual thoughts. Having all three colors on their papers was
a requirement, but those did not necessarily represent all three of the
processes that I had hoped to review.
Students worked in groups and
as a whole class and during these conversations I walked around and checked in
on each of the tables to see what each student had to say in terms of their
reasoning. The ranking was the least important part of the assignment to me, as
my focus was more on the ‘why’ aspect. There were several responses shared
during the lesson and I was sure not to make any individuals feel singled out
during discussions.
This lesson was meant to get
my students thinking about what qualities create a “strong” piece of writing, which
is a piece of my core practice, although this lesson simply skimmed the
surface. Through further investigation of reading writing samples and writing
their own, my students should gain a better sense of what aspects my core
practice covers within other lessons.
In response to your two reflections, I like that you kept track of the students' responses for everyone to see. This really helps the visual learners and the ELs. It seems you also did a good job supporting your ELs by differentiating instruction. Did you use the students' rankings as a resource throughout the unit as they investigated other writing samples?You and Joey have a unique and awesome situation! It sounds like you are both using it to grow as professionals.
ReplyDelete