This lesson was the first of
the ‘Ideas & Content’ portion of our six traits language arts unit, called
‘Draw on the Count of Three’. A majority of my students have experienced the
six traits of writing throughout their schooling, so in 6th grade we
are able to practice using these traits in writing instead of simply learning
about them. It was a prewriting lesson and Joey and I were lucky enough to
watch each other teach all of our lessons, so having a helping hand with a
class of 28 was amazing. I have two ELL students who required extra assistance
I terms of understanding instruction. Once they were given more specific
instruction, the entire class was able to thoughtfully work their way through
each of the prewriting activities within the lesson.
My students sit in table
groups during language arts and typically work well with these groups. However,
in sixth grade we don’t assign them seats because we want them to be
accountable for their own learning and make good decisions about whom they
choose to work with. This, as expected, occasionally backfires. With this lesson,
there was a specific table of boys who were silent throughout the lesson, even
when I addressed them individually in hopes to see their thoughts. When they
had nothing to contribute to me verbally, I made sure to look at their
responses in their packet once they were collected. As I anticipated, they each
had the exact same things written down in almost the exact words. I talked to
them later about being responsible for their own work and that it is okay to
not want to share with the class, but they need to think for themselves and
demonstrate their own learning. Since then, each of them has done an excellent
job of working individually, as well as within their group.
Stemming from my previous
paragraph, and as Joey also stated in his blog response, my students reacted
very well to differentiation of classroom talk. There were times when I led the
discussion and gave specific examples, but we also had really engaging talks as
a whole class. I observed great conversations amongst my students’ table groups,
and after reviewing their responses to this lesson, it was clear that they were
able to complete the activities and apply them to their own, individual,
writing.
For those students who
necessitate additional support, like my two ELL boys, our school is fortunate
enough to have an ELL class each day. They receive one-on-one and small group
support with practicing English and they are able to bring their homework in
for further explanation and clarification. Language arts, in particular, can be
a challenge for ELL students, so I am very lucky to have this resource in my
school. I bring a copy of my boys’ assignments to their ELL class and am able
to work with that resource teacher and my students more closely.
If I were to re-teach this
lesson I would do it more like how Joey conducted it with his class. I was able
to watch him teach this ‘Draw on the Count of Three’ lesson and really liked
how he engaged his class during discussion. I also held a successful discussion
with my class, but Joey did a great job with letting the kids bounce ideas off
of each other rather than facilitating the direction of conversation. Students
were really able to gain a better understanding of each others’ thinking from
listening to what their peers had to say.
I walked around during the
small group discussions and made sure to address each student within this
context. I know that some specific students, including my ELL boys, feel
uncomfortable sharing out loud as a whole class, but were able to participate
nicely within the “safety” of their table groups. I also wrote ideas from our
whole class discussion on the board so that students were able to reference
their peers’ thoughts throughout the lesson.
This lesson was the very
first of my unit, so I didn’t feel that I was truly able to implement my core
practice, at least not very deeply. I addressed the six traits and this lesson
was a great way to get them thinking about them, but I am looking forward to
using this practice to reference while discussion my core practice later on
throughout other lessons in the unit.
No comments:
Post a Comment